Rio needs no parliament approval for Oyu Tolgoi financing, says Mongolia

August 06 09:43 2013 Print This Article

mineralsandmaterials.energy-business-review.com  05 August 2013

Mining major Rio Tinto is not liable to seek approval for the multi-billion financing to develop an underground mine at Oyu Tolgoi project, Mongolia’s Prime Minister Norovyn Altankhuyag said.

Prime Minister Altankhuyag was quoted by Reuters as saying that the parliament has already agreed, and now all the issues can be concluded at the board level.

On 29 July, the company halted the proposed expansion of Oyu Tolgoi mine, saying it has been notified by the government that the terms of the project financing will need parliament approval.

The company expected the process to take few months as parliament was on summer recess. However, the latest announcement by the Prime Minister allows the company to begin the expansion works.

Rio Tinto’s unit Turquoise Hill owns 66% stake in Oyu Tolgoi copper mine, while the remaining 34% is owned by the Government of Mongolia.

view more articles

About Article Author

Saranchimeg Enkhee
Saranchimeg Enkhee

View More Articles
write a comment

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be the one to start a conversation.

Add a Comment

Your data will be safe! Your e-mail address will not be published. Also other data will not be shared with third person.
All fields are required.