Rio Tinto puts Oyu Tolgoi expansion on hold as it awaits Mongolia financing

July 30 08:28 2013 Print This Article

business.financialpost.com  13/07/29

MELBOURNE — Rio Tinto has put on hold all work on an underground expansion of the Oyu Tolgoi copper mine in Mongolia after the government said parliament will need to approve financing for the project, which is expected to cost more than US$5-billion.

The indefinite delay marks the latest bump in the road for the global miner at one of its biggest projects, which started exporting copper earlier in July following two last-minute hiccups in securing government approval.

“The Mongolian Parliament is currently in summer recess and the parliamentary approval process may take some time to work through,” Rio Tinto said in a statement.

The company said it remained committed to working with the government to secure the project financing.

“However, in view of the current uncertainty, including continued discussions with the government on a range of other issues, all funding and work on the underground development will be delayed until these matters are concluded and a new timetable has been agreed,” Rio Tinto said.

  Article "tagged" as:
  Categories:
view more articles

About Article Author

Saranchimeg Enkhee
Saranchimeg Enkhee

View More Articles
write a comment

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be the one to start a conversation.

Add a Comment

Your data will be safe! Your e-mail address will not be published. Also other data will not be shared with third person.
All fields are required.